- 1 head cauliflower,cut into small floret pieces, stems finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup small dice pancetta ( 2 slices)
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup freshly grated gouda cheese
- ¼ cup parmisan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano)
- 4-6 leaves of fresh Basil (chiffonade)
- ¼ cup green peas (optional)
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat Oven 475 degrees. Place cauliflower florets spread evenly apart on baking sheets and toss with 3 tablespoons Extra virgin Olive Oil. Roast until tender, once cauliflower is nearly done 10-15 minutes, then toss in sliced almonds for another 3-5 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil with pancetta until golden in colour. Add in remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, onions, cauliflower stems and garlic and cook until translucent. Add in rice and saute until glossy for about 2 minutes. Deglaze with white wine. Then slowly start adding a little stock at a time, stirring constantly to creates a creamy texture. Add enough stock until it reaches the aldente stage or desired tenderness.
- Once rice is aldente, add in butter, gouda and parmisan cheese. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fold in fresh basil.
- Plate the risotto with a small portion of the roasted cauliflower florets and toasted almonds on the top. Sprinkle with a little frech chopped parsley.
"To be part of this junior team is something special. It doesn't come around that often. To be asked to be a part of it would be a huge honour for these young cooks."