- Created on Wednesday, 20 April 2011 22:05
- Written by Administrator
Participating as National Culinary Team Canada, the Vancouver Community College based National Junior Team recently garnered a gold medal in the hot competition and a Silver medal in the cold at the Irish Panel of Chefs competition held in conjunction with the Catex Exhibition in Dublin, Ireland.
The team finished just ahead of the Irish National Team and was edged out of a first place finish by Team Italy. Included in the competition were teams from Germany, Iceland, the Czech Republic and a second Irish team. Albeit a small international competition, the event was invaluable to the young members of the Canadian team, who had experienced very limited international competitive experience. The contest provided the team the opportunity to pack, travel, gain experience and withstand the rigours of international competition. It also afforded the team members the opportunity to become cohesive and to better work together as a team. The fact that the team was awarded a second place finish, gold and silver medals and the award for demonstrating the highest sanitation standards was all icing on the cake.
In the autumn of next year the team will embark on a huge adventure to the IKA Culinary Olympics in Erfurt, Germany as the Canadian National Youth Team. The journey to Dublin was a great learning experience for the young team members, reinforcing their skills, their spirit and their resolve. They now understand how difficult it is to win, how much hard work, detail and organization is entailed and they now understand the need for unfettered determination. Preparations for their assault on Erfurt are already underway.
- The team consisted of John Ho, (Captain) Tyson Gee, Jasper Cruikshank, Jil Aranas and Ariel Schwab.
- The coaching team consisted of Tobias MacDonald, Dave Ryan, Mickey Zhao and Fumiko Moreton.
- The support members were Santiago Cuyugan, Daniel Davyduke, Laura Sharpe Dawe, Marco Baldisara, and Donald Gyurkouits.
- The management team was comprised of John Carlo Fellicella, James Hutton, Settimio Sicoli and Malcolm Bain.